Thursday, March 1, 2018

Life never stays the same......But I still make a Weekly Menu

Yesterday was the 2nd anniversary of losing Mom Klik.  It was also my nephew, Danny's birthday.  He's been gone for nine years now.  I hope they celebrated together along with all of those we love that are in heaven with them.

Today, Frank is returning to work after a 2 year break that he had called retirement but that was, evidently, just a hiatus.  He is going back to his work as a labor representative.  He will be assigned one large group and a few smaller groups.  This will be a part time position as compared to the 38 units he handled before retirement.

It amazes me how our life is constantly changing and evolving.  Our son, Chuck, phoned yesterday and advised that he has decided not to re-up his commitment in the service of our Navy.  His current enlistment is up in April.  He may extend it for 6 months but has decided to return to the civilian sector instead of re-enlisting for another 4 years.  I will be happy to have all my children in Michigan again.

We have another huge change in the horizon that I will be sharing with you as time goes on.  It is just in the baby stages right now and moving along at a snail's pace.  Stay tuned for more info on this big surprise.

I am going to Mass this morning and then Sister Maryann and I are having breakfast together before I head down to the city to get our taxes done.  I used the leftover pork from Sunday for hot pork sandwiches for lunch one day so I am pulling some burger out and making meatloaf for dinner when I get home.

Saturday, Frank is working at the Dive Shop while Mickey and Don attend the Great Lakes Shipwreck Show.  There is a new restaurant that I have been wanting to try so I think Saturday night will be date night.  We also want to see The 3:15 to Paris, so perhaps dinner and a movie after 4 pm Mass.

The rest of the week is pretty typical. I am sharing our Weekly Menu and also the recipe that turned out to be the biggest hit of last Sunday's Family Dinner.



These roasted mushrooms are easy, peasy and OH MY YUM.  They were perfect along side the pork roast but would also be amazing with steaks.  They were gobbled up fast.

The recipe was found in Cuisine at Home.  I used Cremini mushrooms instead White Button.  Here is my adaptation followed by the Weekly Menu.  Have a great week.

Roasted Mushrooms
adapted from Cuisine at Home, Issue 116

2 lbs. small Cremini Mushrooms
2 T. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 stick unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
juice from 1/4 lemon

Toss the mushrooms with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Spread onto a baking sheet that is lined with parchment or a silicone mat.  Place in a preheated 425* oven and roast for 20 minutes.

While mushrooms are roasting, melt butter in a small sauce pan. Stir in the garlic and lemon and cook over med low heat until fragrant, 3-4 minutes.

Remove mushrooms from oven and toss with the flavored butter.  Serve immediately.  Print Recipe



WEEKLY MENU

Saturday
Date night

Sunday
Grilled Teriyaki Ribs
Bok Choy Stir Fry
Steamed Rice

Meatless Monday
Miso scented Pasta with Celery

Toddler Tuesday
Veggie Calzone

Wednesday
Carry out at Aunt Irene's

Thursday
Maple Glazed Corned Beef
Crusted Potatoes
Sauteed Cabbage and Mushrooms

Fish Friday
Impossibly Easy Seafood Pie







2 comments:

  1. Richard retired a couple of times too! He didn't like staying at home all that much. I am glad that I am content to stay retired. But I am so lazy now! Can't wait to hear the big surprise!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is the second time Frank went back to work after retiring LOL.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.