Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Shrimp Martini #FoodieExtravaganza

Welcome to this month's edition of Foodie Extravaganza.  Our host for this month is Caroline of Caroline's Cooking.  Caroline went over to The Nibble and discovered that June 15th is World Gin Day.  Who knew there was even such a thing?  I certainly didn't and if you are in the same shoes as I.......not to worry.....we are sharing some great recipes containing gin with you today so that on the 15th you can celebrate with ease.  You will find links to all the recipes at the bottom of this post.


I thought this was such a fun theme.  We are not gin drinkers around here, preferring vodka, but I was game to pick up a bottle and give it a try.  My brother will be here soon from CA and he is a gin drinker so I know that it won't go to waste.



I found this great website for Gin and Vodka out of the UK.  This site answers any questions you might have regarding these liquors and offers a great selection of recipes including one for Gin Infused Prawns with Martini Aioli.  


I thought this recipe sounded like so much fun that I took the idea and ran with it, making it my own. I cut down on the measurements, deleted some items, added some items and served it up, Martini Style.  


I loved the presentation and it was met with delight when our friends, Kim and Kurt, joined us for dinner.  I served this as a first course while we enjoyed cocktails....sorry no gin....we had a vodka tasting along with this wonderful appetizer.


I hope you try this easy and fun dish and I hope you share it with good friends and good cheer.  Then your evening will be as pleasant as ours.  Cheers.

Shrimp Martinis for Four
adapted from the Gin and Vodka website

1/4 c. dry vermouth
2 T. gin
3 grinds of black peppercorns
3 grinds of sea salt crystals
15 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/3 c. avocado mayonnaise
1/4 t. garlic paste
zest and juice of 1/8th of a lemon
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 t. dijon mustard
2 drops of hot sauce
1/2 t. gin
2 large olives and 1 pimiento, minced
1 t. finely chopped parsley
1 c. mixed baby greens

Place vermouth, gin, ground peppercorns and sea salt into a medium pan with a tight fitting lid. Bring to a boil, stir in the shrimp, cover and steam for 1 minute.  Stir and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove from heat and allow the shrimp to finish cooking off heat in the hot liquid.  When liquid has cooled transfer contents of the pan to a bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve giving enough time for the shrimp to be well chilled.

Whisk together the avocado mayo, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, pepper, gin, mustard, hot sauce, olives and parsley in a small bowl.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, allowing flavors to meld.

When ready to serve, fill 4 martini glasses with the baby greens.  Hang 5 shrimp around the rim of each glass and divide the mayo among the 4 glasses placing a dollop in the center of the greens. Serve immediately.  Print Recipe

See all the other gin-spiration for today's Foodie Extravaganza:
Posting day for #FoodieExtravaganza is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you're a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board! Looking for our previous parties? Check them out HERE.

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the shrimp being steamed in a martini mixture - vermouth is great for cooking but I haven't added gin as well, must try. Thanks for joining in this month's theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting Caroline. I was thrilled with this recipe.

      Delete
  2. Wish I could get one martini glass with the delightful looking shrimps... yum yum..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish you live near so that I could share one with you, Sneha.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.