Friday, November 20, 2015

Let's play Chopped and the Weekly Menu

You open your basket...or in my case refrigerator.....and you find:
  • Leftover pasta sauce made with Italian Sausage and Mushrooms
  • 1/2 a head of cabbage
  • Ground Venison
  • Leftover rice
What would you make with these ingredients?

Do you watch Chopped?  It is one of my favorite food shows.  I think I could do okay with it except for the time constraints.  How these cooks are able to come up with an idea and prepare it so quickly is mind boggling to me.  Luckily when I looked in my basket (refrigerator) I had no such time constraints.

Here is what I came up with and I must say that if I could adjust the time that it took to make it...I would be a Chopped Champion!  This turned out absolutely delicious!!


I measured out the sauce and saw that I had 2 c. left.


So I added the full pound of venison and 1 c. of the leftover rice.


I formed 2 dozen meatballs and still had meat mixture left.


So I formed it into a meatloaf, baked it up and will serve it as one of my meals this week.


While the meatballs baked, I shredded up the cabbage.
Melted some butter and added the cabbage and some sliced leeks.
I cooked and stirred over med heat until wilted.
I went into the pantry and added a can of diced tomatoes.
It was not saucy enough for me.
 I opened a can of tomato soup and added that along with a 1/2 can of water.


When the meatballs were done baking I added them to the mixture.
Then I let them simmer for about 20 minutes to meld the flavors.


Served them up with a crusty loaf of bread that we used to sop up the juices.
Delicious...tasted just like Stuffed Cabbages.
That's what I will name this...Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage.
You will find the printable recipe below the Weekly Menu.

This is going to be a very busy week for everyone in the USA who celebrates Thanksgiving.  I am going to be busy with the food pantry until Monday evening.  So our meals are going to be catch as catch can.

I changed our menu for tonight because Frank's sister and brother in law are going out so we are going over to hang out with Mom Klik.  I am taking the Chicken Soup that was on the menu for last night.  Hence the reason why we had Chopped here yesterday.

Saturday I am taking a painting class.  I am pretty excited, it has been a long time since I have been painting.  We will be having the meatloaf that I made yesterday for dinner when I get home.

We are singing Sunday morning and then we will take any last minute calls for Thanksgiving Baskets and start taking stuff to the distribution point.  I still have leftover rice so I will be making Fried Rice for dinner when we get home. Quick and easy.

Monday is distribution day so we will be grabbing dinner out afterwards.

Tuesday I am taking Mom Klik to the doctor in the morning, doing my shopping for Thanksgiving dinner and we have choir practice since Thursday is Thanksgiving so a crockpot dinner is being served. 

Wednesday we are having furniture delivered and I will be prepping the things that can be made early for dinner on Thursday....Happy Thanksgiving all.

Friday, of course, is leftovers.

Saturday
Meatloaf (see meatball recipe below)
Baked Potatoes
Corn

Sunday
Pork Fried Rice

Monday
Out for dinner

Tuesday
Hungarian Pancake

Wednesday
Hot dogs
Baked Beans

Thursday-Thanksgiving
See large menu

Friday
Leftovers 

And here is my Chopped recipe for Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.  Stop back by during the week for recipes and photos.  Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage

2 c. leftover pasta sauce (mine contained Italian Sausage and Mushrooms)
1 lb. ground venison
1 c. cooked rice
1/2 head of cabbage, sliced
3 leeks, white and light green parts, well washed and sliced
1/4 c. butter
salt and pepper to taste
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (10 oz) can condensed tomato soup
1/2 c. water

Combine pasta sauce, venison and rice.  Form into meatballs, about 2" in diameter and place on baking sheets that have been lined with foil.  Place in a preheated 350* oven for 20-30 minutes, until nicely browned.

While meatballs are baking, saute cabbage and leeks in butter over med high heat, stirring and cooking until wilted.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Add the tomatoes and their juices stir along with the soup and water.  Stir and cook until combined.  Lower heat to simmer, add the meatballs and cook for another 15-20 minutes, until flavors meld. Print Recipe







3 comments:

  1. That was a good Chopped. We love watching. I am always amazed at what they do with some of those crazy ingredients. Like Candy Easter eggs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Paula and in such a short amount of time. I wonder if they are given a list of possible items that may be included so that they have time to brainstorm before hand.

      Delete
    2. I've wondered the same. Or else my imagination is just not as good as theirs! LOL

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.