Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Sweet and Smoky Bacon Cheddar Burger for Foodie Extravaganza

foodieextravaganza

It is time again to celebrate a National Holiday recognizing a food.  In the month of may we celebrate the All American Hamburger but that doesn't mean that the hamburger recipes we share will necessarily be American recipes.  Our bloggers are going to be sharing their favorite version of this great sandwich....they may or may not contain meat, they may be traditional or they may be unique. One thing is certain, they are sure to be delicious.

I decided to create a burger using some of the sponsor products that I have been lucky enough to receive for other events in which I am involved.  I used some Smoked Fig Not Ketchup that I was gifted for participating in #HotSummerEats which is going to be happening the first of next month.  I topped my burgers with a wonderful Cheddar Cheese from Cabot Creamery that I was gifted for participating in #BrunchWeek 2015 which is going on right now.  


I use ground beef that I purchase from a local farmer who also happens to be a friend.  They raise their cattle humanely and hormone free.  I topped the burgers with bacon made from hogs that I raise myself.  My hogs are raised humanely and hormone free with no unnecessary antibiotics. Hamburgers are one of our favorite summertime meals and I prefer handmade patties however when I have the butcher process my beef I do have a certain amount of pre made patties prepared because they are great to have on hand for unexpected company or those nights when you forgot to take anything out for dinner.  They go straight from the freezer to the grill.


For this event I hand made the patties seasoning them prior to forming them.  I sauteed up some onions and had all the toppings ready for when the burgers came off the grill. I also fried up some homemade potato chips to have alongside the burgers.


Sweet and Smoky Bacon Cheddar Burger

2 lbs. Ground Beef
1 T. Montreal Seasoning
1/4 c. Smoked Fig Not Ketchup
6 slices bacon, fried crisp
6 slices cheddar cheese (I used Cabot)
6 Hamburger Buns ( I used onion buns)
Desired toppings: pickles, onions, lettuce, tomato, condiments, etc.

Combine ground beef, seasoning and Not Ketchup in large bowl.  Form into 6 patties.  Grill over med high heat until desired temperature.  Top each with a slice of cheddar cheese and a slice of bacon that has been cut in half.  Serve with desired condiments and toppings.  Print Recipe

Let's find out what burgers the others are sharing this month


Foodie Extravaganza is where we celebrate obscure food holidays or cook and bake together with the same ingredient or theme each month. This month we celebrate National Hamburger Month by
serving up burgers of all kinds.

Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to participate in the next Foodie Extravaganza, just go to our Facebook page to join. We would love to have you!

Follow our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest board for past events and more deliciousness!

31 comments:

  1. Your burger looks great but I am most jealous of those crispy homemade potato chips! They look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! There are few things better than a great bacon cheeseburger and those chips do look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your burgers look good. I may have to try them. Looks like good grilling weather this weekend so maybe i will make hamburgers and hubby can grill them. Bacon cheeseburgers are our favorites and thoes homemade chips looks good. Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious! I love that you make your own bacon, literally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love raising my piggies and knowing where my food comes from. Thanks Tara.

      Delete
  5. Sweet and smoky, two flavors I can't get enough of, all in one place! I have never tried to smoke our own bacon, although we have a great smoker. May have to put my husband on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you liked the Spiced Fig Not Ketchup in your burger! I've actually never tried mixing it in with the meat - could you still taste it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Erika, the flavor came through loud and strong. I thought it was perfect. My hubby would have liked a little less so I will probably adjust the amount next time.

      Delete
  7. We are making burgers tonight and I absolutely love this idea of adding bacon and cheddar!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this recipe, Wendy...and your homemade potato chips. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yumm!! I know the Spiced Fig was PERFECT for this burger! Looks fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That smoked fig Not Ketchup sounds like an amazing addition to a burger! What makes it "not ketchup"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Not Ketchups do not contain any tomatoes. They are a sauce of ketchup consistency made of fruits and seasonings.

      Delete
  11. This sounds like a killer burger! Fig and bacon go so well together. Great flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can't lose with sweet and smoky burgers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah my favorite grill food...the good old American hamburger

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that you used Not Ketchup. Your burgers sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the montreal seasoning on everything! The burger sounds so wonderful and the chips~Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, that sounds amazing. I love that you have all of the free products to add to it. So awesome. I love the idea of homemade chips too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen. I have been very lucky to join some events that have wonderful sponsors.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.