Sunday, May 24, 2015

Kielbasa and Cabbage Salad

Last week, when I was at the Farmer's Market , I had picked up some smoked kielbasa made by a local farmer.  It did not get on the menu for last week so I wanted to have it this week for sure.  I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it. My normal recipes using kielbasa are more suited for winter meals.  Then I remembered a recipe that I have made numerous times called Beer and Brats.  This recipe came from the June 2011 edition of Cuisine at Home and we enjoy it a couple of times each grilling season.  I knew it would be an easy transition from Beer and Brats to Hard Cider and Kielbasa.


First I made the dressing, using Hard Apple Cider instead of beer.
I kept the horseradish but changed the type of mustard and vinegar used in the dressing.


I kept the technique from the Beer and Brats recipe.
Throwing everything on the grill makes for easy cooking and clean up.


When everything is done cooking, chop it up, toss it with the dressing and serve.
An Easy Peasy Summer Salad Meal!!

Grilled Kielbasa and Cabbage Salad
very loosely adapted from Beer and Brats, Cuisine at Home


For the Dressing:

2/3 c. Hard Apple Cider
2 T. Prepared Horseradish
2 T. Champagne Honey Mustard
1 T. Apple Cider Vinegar
Salt and Pepper to taste

Whisk all ingredients together.  Set aside.

For the Salad:

1 small head or 1/2 med head of red cabbage,cored and quartered
1 small head or 1/2 med head of green cabbage, cored and quartered
1 Vidalia Onion, cut into 1" thick slices
1 lb. Smoked Kielbasa
3 thick slices of Onion Rye Bread
1/4 c. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Place cabbage quarters, one or two, depending on the size, onto sheets of aluminum foil.  Drizzle each with 2 T. of the dressing. Seal the packets, and set aside.

Place the olive oil in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper.  Brush onto both sides of the onion slices and bread slices.

Place the cabbage packets and the kielbasa onto a preheated hot grill. Cook, turning occasionally for 8 to 10 minutes.  Add the onions to the grill and cook along with the cabbage and kielbasa for another 5 minutes, turning all as needed.  Add the bread slices to the grill and cook along with the rest until the bread is toasted on each side, another 2 or 3 minutes.  Remove all items to a large cutting board. 

Remove cabbage from foil.  Roughly chop everything into bite size chunks and place in a large serving bowl.  Toss with the remaining dressing and serve.  Print Recipe


2 comments:

  1. Trying to catch up. Pinning this one for certain, Wendy. I love the sounds of that dressing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great Debra and you can add more or less horseradish to suit your taste.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.